Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My daughter will not be a princess

Since we've been talking about names, (and by talking I mean that I wrote a post a couple days ago that you may or may not have read) I thought I'd entertain you with a tale about naming our first child.

The year was 2003. My husband had recently begun his career in the aerospace industry. He had then, and has now, an interest in flight and space. Don't worry, that's not a random fact- it will be relevant to my story.

If you've ever had a child, or even if you've ever had a pet, you probably know the weight and responsibility that comes with choosing a name for a living creature. Or maybe the obsession over making sure the name has no overt connotations just lies with adults with names like "Angel." Perhaps if your name is "Sophia" you didn't lose hundreds of hours of sleep when choosing a name. I can't be sure. I can only own my madness...

So, back to my husband. First name he suggests to me to for our unborn child was Ariel. Lovely name. Conversation goes like this:
 Me: What?!? Like the Little Mermaid?
Him: What? I didn't know that was the little mermaid's name.
Me: Well every woman and child in America does. That would be like naming her Cinderella. No.

Few weeks go by. He suggests a second name. (he's slow at brainstorming) Aurora. Clearly he was going for a flight/space themed name. Again, lovely name.
Me: What?!? Aurora is Sleeping Beauty's name!
Him: What? I didn't know that.
Me: Well I do. No. No. princess. names.

Few more weeks go by. Third name suggestion. (I'm given to exaggerate to make points or even get laughs, but when I say these were the names he suggested, and the only names he suggested, it is the literal truth.) Ok. Third name suggestion: Jasmine.
Me: Jasmine?!?! That's Aladdin's girlfriend!!

Needless to say, we did not name her Jasmine. We gave her a blank slate name. One that would fit if she aspires to royalty or joins a biker gang. No songs with her name. No famous stories. No famous people. Familiar enough that people can pronounce easily, but not so common she runs into others with her name all the time. Ends in an "a" to sound better with our last name that starts with an "H." I could go on. But I'll stop with that glimpse into my madness...

And as for my husband, he swears he had/has no unconscious Disney fascination/fixation. But I do watch him closely when we go to Walt Disney World...

oh, if by some remote chance you are reading this and NOT related to me or a good friend, first I'd like to say, thank you. And second I'd like to acknowledge that I get you might want to know what we did name her. And finally, I'd like to apologize for disappointing you. I really don't like to start relationships this way... But I decided to not use my girls real names on this blog. Not because I'm worried about safety. Which I know is a real concern; it just isn't the thing that keeps me up at night. The reason I'm going to call them Cherub A and Cherub J is actually more in line with my madness about the blank slate. I don't want them to be "searchable" on the internet by their names because of my creative outlet.

I want to let her write her own story one day. Biker or Princess. Or Biker Princess. And then a song can be written with her name. The Song of the Biker Princess. And it will be passed down for generations. And then one day a husband somewhere will suggest to his wife naming their daughter this name of my daughter made into a song. And the wife will say, "What?!?! Like the Biker Princess? No."
           And so it was written. By this one random angel...



6 comments:

  1. The biker princess mental picture made me smile - and tonight I needed that :) There really is something to names. When we named our first-born, we unknowingly gave him the name that means "the conquerer." You know how that turned out. When we chose the name for his little brother, we made sure to take that meaning thing into account. His name means "man of prayer" and "full of goodness." That worked out a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. First comment ever on my blog. That made me smile. Thanks! your comment about the meanings of names also reminded me of when I lived in Japan. When I moved there I was thinking my name would finally just be a sound and no longer so laden with meaning. Not sure why I thought they wouldn't understand "angel", but anyway, within the first few days I learned I was wrong. I introduced myself and this little 5-year-old girl said, "Angel? Tenshi?" And flapped her arms like wings. Tenshi is the Japanese word for angel....

      Delete
  2. Snork! Right, like how did he NOT know Ariel, Aurora, and Jasmine are princess names. I think it's a question on the Proof of American Citizenship Quiz. Anyway, my homestead geek offered up Cassiopeia for a girl name. I was sooooooo hoping for a boy! Who now gets berated from time to time by his exasperated mama like this: "Suck it up Princess!"
    I think it is all in how you use it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Nice. Yeah I find it suspect he didn't know either...

      Delete
  3. PS: I am really liking you in blog form. This is gonna be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Honestly reading your blog these last few months added to my inspiration! Although I don't really totally understand the everything yet. Like why are my replies saying Angel Hundley instead of my Blog Name?!?

      Delete